Sunday, August 1, 2010

Another lost love

I have discovered another lost love, golf. I used to play at least once a week, sometimes more. I gave it up because we couldn't afford such luxuries anymore. But looking back that was silly. Cutting back was the way to go, just stopping playing was wrong.

I first started playing with Mary's grandmother Wilma. We would play a nice nine hole course called Arrowhead. She taught me all about the etiquette and just plain joy of the game.

Recently Wilma has been suffering from dementia and has been placed in a nursing home. This got me to thinking of the fun times we had together, just her and I and that got me thinking about golf.

When I was young I used to just play by myself. I would show up at Pleasant Run, Salms or Arrowhead and get put in foursomes with random people. That was as much fun as playing because I would meat so many interesting people on the golf course . The other thing was I would always walk. I actually got exercise.

Patrick likes to play and it's great spending time on the course with him. I think I am going to make this a major part of our father/son relationship. Maybe when Nick get's out of the Navy he can play with us too. In the mean time it's fun to play with my pseudo sons Chris, Daniel and Greigh.

No comments: